Wellington North Fire Service responded to two fires on Tuesday night. One destroyed a barn and the other damaged a corn dryer.
Just after 8:10 p.m., firefighters responded to a corn dryer fire near Mount Forest.
Wellington North Fire chief Dave Guilbault told the Mount Forest Confederate that firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly, and with the owner’s help they were able to empty the corn dryer.
“The fire didn’t reach the silo, which is good,” Guilbault told The Confederate.
Estimated damage to the dryer is unknown and there were no reported injuries.
About an hour later, at 9:28 p.m., Wellington North Fire received a call about a barn fire near Kenilworth.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw the barn, which was being used for hay storage, fully engulfed in flames.
“Thankfully there were no animals present,” Guilbault told The Confederate.
Crews from the Palmerston and Harrison stations of Minto Fire supported Wellington North Fire with tanker trucks of water.
“We appreciate the mutual aid from our friends at Minto Fire,” Guailbault said. “Their assistance made fighting this (barn) fire a lot easier.”
Estimated damage to the barn and value of the hay inside is unknown.