Search
Better Farming OntarioBetter PorkBetter Farming Prairies

Better Farming Ontario Featured Articles

Better Farming Ontario magazine is published 11 times per year. After each edition is published, we share featured articles online.


Next step uncertain for wind opponents who lost court challenge

Friday, January 2, 2015

by SUSAN MANN

Cash crop and pork farmer Shawn Drennan can sum up his initial reaction to the Ontario Divisional Court decision dismissing a constitutional challenge to the wind energy regulatory project approval process in one word – disappointing.

But Drennan, who farms 300 acres in Huron County’s Township of Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh, says he has so far only taken a very “cursory glance” at the decision released Monday and wants to go over it in more detail after the holidays before commenting further. He says he’s uncertain about the amount of legal costs his group may be on the hook for.

Shawn and Tricia Drennan were one of four families launching the challenge. The families were challenging three different wind energy projects in Huron and Bruce counties. The panel of three divisional court judges was unanimous in dismissing the families’ appeal.

As for what their next step is, Drennan says “when we actually talk to our lawyers, we’ll probably sit down to figure that out. We haven’t decided where to go from here or what to do from here.” They also haven’t yet talked to the other families involved in the challenge.

The project being built near the Drennans’ farm will have 140 wind turbines and be 270 megawatts (MW). It’s being built by K2 Wind Ontario Limited Partnership, a partnership of Capital Power LP, Samsung Renewable Energy Inc. and Pattern Renewable Holdings Canada ULC. The other two projects are a 180 MW, 92-turbine project owned by Armow Wind Ontario LP and a 33 MW, 15-turbine project owned by St. Columban Energy LP.

K2 Wind spokesperson Michael Sheehan says they’re optimistic that the divisional court ruling “will finally put an end to the challenges brought against the regulatory approvals authorizing the construction and operation of K2 Wind.”

All three projects received their renewable energy approval in 2013 and 2014 under the Environmental Protection Act from the Environment and Climate Change Ministry. The families in this court case live close to the proposed sites of the wind turbines and are concerned about the potential health effects of living near the turbines. But since launching the challenge, one family, the Kroeplins, who lived near the Armow Wind Ontario project, has moved.

Sheehan says construction of K2 Wind’s project began in late 2013 and is on schedule. Commercial operation of the wind project will begin in mid 2015. So far, about half of the 140 wind turbines have been erected or assembled, he adds. The project will provide the average annual power needs for about 100,000 homes.

Through the Environmental Protection Act, the families sought review hearings of the environment ministry director’s decisions approving the projects. Those reviews were heard by the Environmental Review Tribunal. But in each case, the tribunal dismissed the families’ appeals, the divisional court written decision says. The tribunals found the families did not establish that the energy approval appeal provisions or the Act itself violated the families’ right to security of the person under Section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The tribunals also found the families didn’t establish that engaging in the project as approved will cause serious harm to human health.

The Act “stipulates that the tribunal shall review the decision of the director and shall consider only whether engaging in the renewable energy project in accordance with the renewable energy approval will cause (a) serious harm to human health,” the decision says. Under the Act, the families had the responsibility of proving the projects will cause serious harm to human health.

After the tribunal made its decisions, the Act’s appeal rights enabled the families to bring those tribunal decisions to the court “on a question of law,” the decision says. The families were asserting that aspects of the process to review the environment ministry director’s decision are “constitutionally flawed,” especially the section that requires the families to demonstrate the projects would cause serious harm to human health.

The decision says for appeals like ones brought by the families challenging the wind energy project approvals process, the court can only consider questions of law. It cannot reweigh or reassess the evidence brought before the tribunals or the factual findings the tribunals made.

Part of what the families wanted was that section 145.2.1 (2) the Environmental Protection Act be declared constitutionally invalid. Another request was for the addition of an order to the Act saying the test to be met is whether there is a reasonable prospect of serious harm caused by engaging in the renewable energy project.

In its written decision, the judges said their purpose in describing the expert evidence before the tribunals on the impact of wind turbines on human health was a narrow one. Their job was only to identify that the tribunals didn’t have before them expert evidence that “seriously called into question” the principle underpinning of the Act’s renewable energy project regulatory regime. BF

Current Issue

August 2026

Better Farming Magazine

Farms.com Breaking News

Gay Lea Expands Dairy Plant for Protein Demand

Monday, August 17, 2026

Gay Lea Foods has announced an investment of more than $200 million to expand its dairy manufacturing facility in Toronto, Ontario. The project is designed to increase production capacity and help meet the rising demand for high-protein dairy products, including cottage cheese. The... Read this article online

How Busch turned bales into advertising dollars for farmers

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Busch is taking a different approach to advertising in rural Canada by moving marketing dollars from city billboards directly into farmers’ fields. The brand’s new “Baleboard” campaign transforms hay bales into oversized six-pack displays inspired by Busch’s limited-edition Farmer’s Pack.... Read this article online

Niagara farm groups seek support following flood damage

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Three of Niagara's leading agricultural organizations are urging governments to provide targeted support to growers following a series of severe rainfall events that have caused widespread flooding across the region. According to a joint statement from Flowers Canada, Grape Growers... Read this article online

BF logo

It's farming. And it's better.

 

a Farms.com Company

Subscriptions

Subscriber inquiries, change of address, or USA and international orders, please email: subscriptions@betterfarming.com or call 888-248-4893 x 281.


Article Ideas & Media Releases

Have a story idea or media release? If you want coverage of an ag issue, trend, or company news, please email us.

Follow us on Social Media

 

Sign up to a Farms.com Newsletter

 

DisclaimerPrivacy Policy2026 ©AgMedia Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Back To Top