Travel clampdown Friday, December 16, 2011 by SUSAN MANNTwo farm groups are growing concerned about the roadblocks Ontario agriculture ministry extension specialists face to attend the out-of-province meetings and conferences that help them remain up-to-date in their subject areas.Harold Schooley, research section chair for the Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association, says provincial extension staff not being able to attend meetings in surrounding jurisdictions in the United States reduces Ontario’s access to research and technology transfer information shared at those gatherings.“All of a sudden people are being told they can’t go across the line,” he explains, noting researchers in other countries may be reluctant to share their information if Ontario extension staff don’t attend and talk about their work.“Things have tightened up over the last few years,” he says, noting previously staff members were only allowed to attend a certain number of out-of-province meetings a year but now they’re not allowed to attend extension meetings out of Ontario.Ministry spokesperson Susan Murray says by email staff can attend meetings out of Ontario. There has been a process in the Ontario Public Service for many years to approve staff travel “to ensure public funds are appropriately spent.” Ontario Federation of Agriculture president Mark Wales says the Ontario Agricultural Commodity Council discussed the matter at its meeting last Monday. The group has sent a letter on behalf of all the non-supply managed commodities in Ontario expressing its concerns to provincial Agriculture Minister Ted McMeekin.A government employee who asked not to be named says out-of-province travel is under greater restriction now than it was a year ago, or five years ago. Staff must meet criteria such as building a business case about why it’s important to go and submitting forms nine weeks before departure. Sometimes people don’t get invitations or know about meetings until a few weeks before the event making it difficult to attend, says the employee, who traveled out of Ontario this year.The increased level of process and time required to get travel plans approved have had a negative impact on the number of staff or the willingness of staff to try and go to extension meetings, the employee says. Moreover, filling out the forms and filing them in time doesn’t guarantee success but the employee describes the approvals success rate as decent.The employee recommends farmers tell their provincial politicians they want extension staff “to have the freedom to do their job to the best of their abilities, which would mean less communications restrictions and less restrictions on travel,” within reason in terms of budget.Schooley says they were also concerned because ministry staff was under “a gag order” during this fall’s provincial election campaign, “which everybody knew about because they wouldn’t talk to you, they wouldn’t send you anything by email or mail you any reports and stuff.” Schooley says he isn’t sure where the gag order came from but says it hasn’t been totally lifted.Murray says it wouldn’t be fair to say there was a gag order during the election but there “probably was a little more scrutiny on what was being said” to ensure public service employees couldn’t be seen at all to be supporting any one party. Asked who was concerned about ensuring staff couldn’t be seen supporting any particular party, Murray says it was a direction from the Cabinet office to all ministries. “It’s the same with every election because they’re really concerned about impropriety, which is fair.”Murray says there isn’t the same level of scrutiny now the election is over as there was during the campaign. Schooley says the matter of agriculture ministry staff travel will be raised at the fruit and vegetable growers’ association annual convention next month. There’s a resolution before the delegates that Schooley hopes will pass and from there “it will be turned into a lobby position.” BF Schmidt files appeal RMP payments are in the mail
Corn and Soybean Crops Fall Short in 2025 Predicts Great Ontario Yield Tour Thursday, August 28, 2025 Ontario’s 2025 corn and soybean harvest is shaping up to be one of the most challenging in recent memory, as persistent drought and heat have pushed yields below the Agricorp 10-year average say experts and master scouts Moe Agostino and Henry Prinzen of the 2025 Great Ontario Yield Tour.... Read this article online
Global grain trade gets a shake-up: What it means for Canadian farmers Thursday, August 28, 2025 The global grain and oilseed trading industry is undergoing a major transformation—and Canadian farmers should take note. A recently published study in the September 2025 issue of discussed how the traditional dominance of a few multinational giants is giving way to a more competitive,... Read this article online
Ontario Farmers Share Yield Strategies Amid Drought Wednesday, August 27, 2025 The Great Ontario Yield Tour held an event at Petersen Custom Farming in Osgood, Ontario, on Thursday, August 21, 2025. The farmer panel during lunch was one of the highlights of the event. Farmers and industry experts gathered to discuss yield strategies and the realities of this season’s... Read this article online
2025 Livestock Tax Deferral Regions Announced Tuesday, August 26, 2025 Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) has published the initial list of prescribed regions eligible for the 2025 Livestock Tax Deferral provision, a key support measure for Canadian livestock producers grappling with the impacts of extreme weather. “As we continue to see the very... Read this article online
Why Pork Producers Should Care About Canada’s Pig Code Update Tuesday, August 26, 2025 As many farmers will know, as part of the normal process for review, the National Farm Animal Care Council (NFACC) has launched a comprehensive review of Canada’s Pig Code of Practice, last updated in 2014. The review was announced in May. The process, expected to span three years,... Read this article online