New PED strain gives Ontario's pig industry a wide berth for now Monday, January 12, 2015 by SUSAN MANNThe new, third strain of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus that’s showed up in the United States hasn’t appeared in Ontario, says an Ontario Pork spokesperson.The new strain was found in a Minnesota hog herd, and researchers say it’s a possible mutation of the original virus that was first discovered in the United States in April 2013. Ontario had its first case of PED virus almost a year ago on a Middlesex County farm. Since then there have been 69 confirmed cases.PED causes vomiting, diarrhea and high death loss in nursing pigs. In growing pigs, there is widespread diarrhea with low mortality. PED is not a human health or food safety risk.There was a second strain of PED found on an Ontario hog farm in June “that was slightly different from the original strain that was here but it hasn’t been found since then either,” says Mike DeGroot, Ontario Pork national biosecurity coordinator. “It was contained to just one farm.”DeGroot says it’s not surprising a third strain has surfaced. “I know they’re talking about it being a possible mutation and viruses are known to do that.” He points out that since PED hit the United States, they have found not only the different PED strains but also different coronaviruses, such as the delta coronavirus.“I think whatever contaminated the North American industry probably sent a couple different stains over here at that time,” he says.DeGroot says there’s always a risk the new strain could come to Ontario too. Farmers should continue to follow good biosecurity practices to keep new strains as well as the old ones out of their barns.But there’s not a lot of evidence that strains of virus have moved this way from the United States since last January when PED virus was suspected to come to Ontario via nursery feed, he explains, adding they’re more worried about containing the PED virus that’s in Ontario now.Most farms infected last year in Ontario have either eliminated the virus or have plans in place that will eliminate the virus shortly from the farm, he says.“If we can have less than three or four new cases a month for the January, February months and then move into warmer weather and then get zero cases again across the summer, I think we’re doing pretty good.” BF Behind the Lines - February 2015 PED causes a spike in pork prices
CRSB Launches Certified Beef Producer Incentive Program Friday, February 20, 2026 The Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef (CRSB) has announced the launch of the CRSB Certified Producer Incentive. This new program is designed to recognize and reward beef producers who have invested time and resources to become certified under CRSB standards. The main goal of this... Read this article online
Ontario beef farms honoured for pasture innovation and environmental stewardship Friday, February 20, 2026 Two Ontario beef operations earn top 2026 awards for pasture and environmental excellence. At the Beef Farmers of Ontario’s (BFO) 64th annual general meeting banquet in Toronto on February 18, 2026, two standout Ontario beef operations were recognized for their commitment to... Read this article online
New Leadership Team Named at OFVGA Friday, February 20, 2026 The Ontario Fruit & VegetableGrowersAssociation has announced a new leadership team following recent elections. Mike Chromczak has been selected as chair, and MatthiasOppenlaenderhas beenelectedvice chair. Chromczak brings more than a decade of industry involvement to the position.... Read this article online
B.C. ranch auction starts with $4.29 million opening bid Thursday, February 19, 2026 A ranch larger than the city of Prince George, B.C. and its roughly 78,000 acres is up for auction. CLHbid.com is auctioning the Jura Ranch and its 83,698 total acres (2,625 deeded + 81,073 leased) in May with a starting bid of $4.29 million. “The ranch offers rich soil that is high in... Read this article online
New scholarship supports young B.C. ag leaders Thursday, February 19, 2026 A B.C. ag organization has launched a scholarship to support the next generation of farmers and leaders. The BC Agriculture Council’s (BCAC) new BC Young Farmers Scholarship is for residents between the ages of 19 and 40 and enrolled in a post-secondary agriculture program. Statistics... Read this article online