Newburg farmer faces hefty fine over faulty manure storage Tuesday, November 6, 2012 by SUSAN MANN An eastern Ontario hog raising company and its director have been fined $10,000 for failing to comply with an Ontario Environment Ministry order concerning the decommissioning of manure containment structures. There is also a 25 per cent victim surcharge in addition to the fines levied Oct. 12 in provincial court in Napanee against Harvest Hill Farms Ltd. and its director, Edward Embury. Kate Jordan, environment ministry spokesperson, says Embury and the Newburg-area company were each convicted of one offense under the Environmental Protection Act and fined $5,000 each. The charge was failing to comply with a requirement of a ministry order. Embury couldn’t be reached for comment. Jordan says an environment ministry inspection of the farm found “they had constructed essentially permanent liquid manure or nutrient holding structures.” She didn’t have the date of that initial inspection. The ministry issued an order requiring Embury and the company to submit a consultant’s report confirming the storage structures had been decommissioned. “They failed to comply with that requirement,” which was when it was referred in January 2010 to the ministry’s enforcement branch for further investigation. Charges were laid in July 2010. Jordan says the ministry order was issued “based on concerns for managing liquid manure at the site. We wanted to ensure that liquid manure was being managed properly to ensure there wasn’t any possibility for groundwater contamination. We had concerns with discharges or leakages from the structures.” In addition to the ministry’s concerns with possible groundwater contamination, the structures weren’t built in accordance with the Nutrient Management Act, she says. In November 2011, Embury and Harvest Hill were both acquitted in Napanee provincial court of failing to comply with a ministry order requirement. The environment ministry appealed and in April 2012 the court set aside that acquittal and ordered a new trial. “This conviction is the result of the new trial,” she says. Sam Bradshaw, Ontario Pork environmental specialist, says he has never heard of the ministry issuing an order to decommission a manure storage structure. He adds that he doesn’t know the details of the matter but plans to meet with the farmer. He says he’s only talked to Embury briefly so far. As for what this means for farmers, Bradshaw says “I don’t know that it means anything.” The ministry investigates matters and if it sees fit it issues orders to people or companies to do something then gives people time to comply. “If you do (comply with the orders) that’s fine and if you don’t they follow up. That’s the way it works.” BF Maple Leaf protected supply chain with acquisition Pigeon King comes to court
US-Canada tariff uncertainty continues to concern businesses and farmers Wednesday, August 19, 2026 As of late August 2026, trade relations between Canada and the United States remain under pressure as both countries work to finalize an agreement aimed at preventing a new round of tariffs from disrupting cross-border commerce. While a temporary reprieve has been secured, uncertainty... Read this article online
Woolwich Farmland Fight - Petition Urges Council to Protect Prime Ontario Agricultural Land Monday, August 17, 2026 A proposal to redesignate 107acres of agricultural land in Woolwich Township for employment and industrial development is drawing increasing opposition from residents and farmland advocates who say the project would come at the expense of valuable farmland and the region's agricultural... Read this article online
Gay Lea Expands Dairy Plant for Protein Demand Monday, August 17, 2026 Gay Lea Foods has announced an investment of more than $200 million to expand its dairy manufacturing facility in Toronto, Ontario. The project is designed to increase production capacity and help meet the rising demand for high-protein dairy products, including cottage cheese. The... Read this article online
2026 Great Ontario Yield Tour Early Reports Show Strong Corn and Soybean Potential Monday, August 17, 2026 Ontario's annual Great Ontario Yield Tour is underway, and early reports are painting a generally optimistic picture for the province's 2026 corn and soybean crop. However, Great Ontario Yield Tour scouts have also highlighted regional challenges. The 11th Annual Great Ontario Yield... Read this article online
How Busch turned bales into advertising dollars for farmers Wednesday, August 12, 2026 Busch is taking a different approach to advertising in rural Canada by moving marketing dollars from city billboards directly into farmers’ fields. The brand’s new “Baleboard” campaign transforms hay bales into oversized six-pack displays inspired by Busch’s limited-edition Farmer’s Pack.... Read this article online