Pigeon King bankruptcy trustee awaits court outcome Wednesday, December 1, 2010 by BETTER FARMING STAFF Trustee BDO Canada Limited will keep its bankruptcy files on Pigeon King International and Arlan Galbraith open pending the outcome of criminal proceedings against the defunct company’s owner.“We’ve been on hold a little bit because the police have been working on this,” says Susan Taves, spokesperson and vice president of the Kitchener-based bankruptcy trustee. “The fact they’ve actually now laid the charges is helpful because it’s clear to everyone why we have to wait.”Galbraith was released on bail yesterday after being formally charged with one count of fraud over $5,000 and four offenses against the Bankruptcy Act. Police began investigating the pigeon breeder more than two years ago after closed his doors and put his firm into bankruptcy.If a restitution for funds to be repaid is ordered, Taves says “we expect that would be paid to us as the trustee,” so that BDO could distribute it to creditors. “It can take quite some time for criminal charges to actually be prosecuted,” she says.To date, in Galbraith’s personal bankruptcy, the trustee has retrieved $225,000 from the sale of Galbraith’s 300-acre property near Cochrane, Ontario and about $400,000 from investments and cash. “It’s a small amount to pay out at this point in time because there are so many creditors and the dollar amount is quite low,” Taves says. “We’ll probably just wait until the whole criminal charge is figured out.”So far, about $200,000 of the money collected has gone towards professional fees, Taves says.The Cochrane sale was closed last month and the proceeds are in a trust account. Taves would not disclose the buyer. The sale was a completely public process with many bidders and the buyer has no connection to Galbraith, she says. “We’ve been asked that before on other files,” she says. “I think as a trustee in bankruptcy I’m an officer of the court, I’m not sure it’s my place to disclose who we end up selling assets to. I would probably have that same answer on any other file.” She says the bankruptcy firm has not been in touch with Galbraith recently because it hasn’t been necessary. BF Charges brought against Pigeon King Arlan Galbraith Dairy price hike fails to impress
Twin Flywheel Tech Boosts Wood Chipper Performance Globally Friday, November 28, 2025 A large majority of farms have woodland on their property, so tools to manage woodlands are essential. Woodland Mills, which manufactures forestry equipment, has reported strong customer adoption nearly one year after expanding its patented Twin Flywheel Technology into four... Read this article online
Grain Farmers of Ontario invests in future leaders with 2025 Legacy Scholarships Thursday, November 27, 2025 Grain Farmers of Ontario (GFO), the province’s largest commodity organization representing 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean, and wheat farmers, has announced the nine recipients of its . Each student will receive $5,000 to support their studies at accredited post-secondary... Read this article online
Kubota BX23S - Your Farm’s MVP Thursday, November 27, 2025 The Kubota BX23S stands out as a powerful and efficient compact tractor designed to meet the needs of farmers. As part of Kubota’s trusted BX Series, this model serves as a dedicated tractor loader backhoe, offering superior strength and versatility for a wide range of... Read this article online
Drew Spoelstra acclaimed for third term as OFA president Thursday, November 27, 2025 Drew Spoelstra of Binbrook will serve a third consecutive one-year term as president of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA). The association represents 38,000 farm families across the province. Spoelstra was acclaimed during OFA’s annual general meeting (held under the theme:... Read this article online
Minto Council Backs Bill 21 -- A Bold Step to Protect Ontario’s Farmland Thursday, November 27, 2025 The Town of Minto Council has officially thrown its support behind Bill 21: Protect Our Food Act, a proposed piece of legislation designed to safeguard Ontario’s agricultural lands from being lost to development. During a council meeting on November 18, Deputy Mayor Jean Anderson... Read this article online